Answered by Abu Usama
Question: Can you please explain the significance of Salat-ut-Tasbeeh? Please also provide details of how to offer this prayer.
Answer: In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful
It is recorded in Sunan Abi Dawud and other books of hadith that Rasulullah (sallallahu `alayhi wasallam once said to his uncle Hadrat `Abbas (r.a.) : O Abbas!O my uncle! Shall I not give you a gift? Shall I not show you something by means of which Allah Ta`ala will forgive your sins, the first and the last of them, the past and recent, the unintentional and the intentional, the small and huge, the secret and open?
Rasulullah (sallallahu `alayhi wasallam) then taught him the Salah al-Tasbih. Furthermore he advised him that it be offered daily, if possible. If not then every Friday or once a month or once a year or at least once in one’s life time.
Salah al-Tasbih consists of 4 raka`at. It can be performed any time of the day or night except at the makruh times.
The following tasbih is recited seventy-five times in each rak`ah totalling 300 in the 4 raka`at.
Subhaanallaahi walhamdu lillaahi walaa ilaaha illallaahu wallaahu akbar
The method of this salah is as follows:
- After beginning the salah by saying Allah-u-Akbar recite the thana ‘, Sura al-Fatiha and a Sura followed by the above tasbih 15 times.
- Then go into Ruku and after reciting the usual tasbih for bowing, recite the above tasbih 10 times.
- After standing up from bowing, recite the usual Rabbana Lakal Hamd and thereafter recite the tasbih 10 times.
- Then go into prostration, and after reciting the usual tasbih for the prostration, recite the above tasbih 10 times.
- Then sit up from the prostration and recite the tasbih 10 times between the two prostrations.
- Thereafter go into prostration again, and after reciting the usual tasbih for the prostration, recite the above tasbih 10 times.
- Then sit after the 2nd prostration, (i.e. before standing up for the second rak`ah) and recite the tasbih 10 times.
- This adds up to 75 times in one rak`ah. Do the same for the remaining 4 raka`at.