All throughout Islamic sciences, from the study of Quran and Hadith, to the study of jurisprudence (fiqh), the importance of intention is strongly emphasized. Spiritual scientists throughout the ages believed that any sort of beautification starts from the inside, which then flows to the outside. But isn’t the action more important than the intention, since actions represents the result? And what does beautification have to do with intention?
From the intention, plan and execution of any act, Shaykh Muhammad b. Yahya al-Ninowy takes us on a journey with Imam Ghazali’s Book of Intentions, teaching us that the importance of an intention is the fact that it makes you selfless right from the beginning. Seeing yourself in the intention, means the action is defective – the difference between the speed of light, and the speed of love.
Take a free SeekersHub course to deepen your understanding of intentions and Islamic Spirituality. Try “Excellence in Faith & Action (from Ghazali’s 40 Foundations of Religion)”, taught by Shaykh Faraz A. Khan.
We are grateful to the Rhoda Institute of Islamic Learning for this recording.
Resources for Seekers
- Importance of Intention in Seeking Knowledge
- Where Did The Sweetness of Prayer Go? – Shaykh Hamdi Ben Aissa
- How Can I Be Sure to Have a Correct Intention for Prayer
- Reflections from SeekersHub Toronto Retreat Sound Hearts Sound Societies
- The Reality and Importance of Intention
- The Prayer for Drinking Coffee – The Power of Purpose and High Intentions