Sometimes a door to Allah is opened in the form of a good deed, such as praying or giving charity but then the door of acceptance is still closed. Through parents, this final door can be opened. Ustadh Uthman Bally recounts story upon wonderful story of how the relationship with our parents can have a major effect on our futures.
From a companion of the Prophet who couldn’t say the kalima on his deathbed until his mother forgave him for his harsh tongue, to the grandson of the Prophet who would never share a plate of food with her mother for fear that he would take a piece that she wanted. Then there’s the people who gave joy to others that their joy became angels that praised God until the Day of Judgement, and the man who gave away his one good deed.
“You might do a very small act, which then becomes your opening.”
We are grateful to Ha Meem Foundation for this recording
Resources for Seekers
- Serve Your Parents Now Before It’s Too Late, by Ustadh Salman Younas
- I Can’t Stop Misbehaving With my Mother. What Can I Do
- My Parents Prevent Me From Practicing: What Should I Do
- A Nursing Mother’s Ramadan Reflections
- “To Mothers” – Moving Poem by Baraka Blue