Many people let fears, worries, and challenges–personal or social–affect their life choices and cause them to make disadvantageous decisions. In this talk, Shaykh Faraz Rabbani explains a powerful Hadith of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) describing the “strong believer” who is “better and more beloved to Allah.”
الْمُؤْمِنِ الضَّعِيفِ، وَفِي كُلٍّ خَيْرٌ، احْرِصْ عَلَى مَا يَنْفَعُكَ وَاسْتَعِنْ بِاللَّهِ، وَلَا تَعْجِزْ، وَإِنْ أَصَابَكَ شَيْءٌ فَلَا تَقُلْ: لَوْ أَنِّي فَعَلْتُ كَانَ كَذَا وَكَذَا، وَلَكِنْ قُلْ: قَدَّرَ اللَّهُ وَمَا شَاءَ فَعَلَ، فَإِنَّ لَوْ تَفْتَحُ عَمَلَ الشَّيْطَانِ» “. رَوَاهُ مُسْلِمٌ.
Shaykh Faraz explains that the believers foundational concerns are three:
1. Strength of faith–nurtured through one’s daily prayers, actively remembering Allah, and devotion
2. Maximizing the good in one’s life–understanding that the good is what Allah deems good, whether worldly or spiritual; and
3. Seeking Allah intensely–out of recognizing the Greatness, Majesty, Perfection, and Beauty of Allah, and how we owe Allah our very existence, life, faith, guidance, and all good.
These qualities are realized through the four keys mentioned by the Messenger of Allah (peace & blessings be upon him) in the second half of the hadith:
1 Be avid for all benefit–for yourself and others
2. Seek Allah’s assistance–rely on His Strength, and don’t limit yourself by your weakness
3. Don’t deem yourself incapable; and
4. Don’t second-guess–because worrying is harm without benefit.
The Messenger of Allah (peace & blessings be upon him) said, “The strong believer is better and more beloved to Allah than the weak believer, though there is good in both. Be avid for all that benefits; seek Allah’s assistance; and don’t deem yourself incapable. If anything happens to you, never say: Had I only done such-and-such. Rather, say: Allah destined, and He did what He willed, because “had I only” opens up the Devil’s works.” (Muslim)
This Friday khutba was delivered by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani in February 2017 at the Jamiat-ul-Ansar of Brampton.